Utah Breast Cancer Support Group

Non-denominational breast cancer support group in Utah for young women in their 20's, 30's and 40's. Friends by Chance. Sisters by Choice.


Young Survivor Sisters is a free, non-denominational breast cancer support group for women living in Utah who are in their 20's, 30's and 40's. We've been supporting each other like sisters since 2003 and welcome your participation. Together We Survive! To join the conversation, please join our Facebook Page

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

How About a Little Laughter?

Laughter is Bubbly!


Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand...Mark Twain




One sunny afternoon about two or three months after I had finished chemotherapy and radiation, I was outside watching my husband, Walter, wash our car. I decided to help.


He really didn't want me to because I was still very weak and tired from the treatments for breast cancer, but being very persistent (translation: stubborn), I insisted. He finally agreed and brought a little stool for me to sit on and said I could wash the tires. I did this for a while, but it was very awkward sitting and scrubbing around the spokes in the wheel cover, so I stood up and leaned over.


My prosthesis popped out of my bra, fell in the soapy water and slid right under the car. We couldn't see it in all the bubbles, and Walter was afraid to move the car for fear of running over it. So I slid under the car and fumbled around and finally found it. Retrieval was difficult because it was so slippery in the soapy water, but I finally had it in hand and plopped it right back where it belonged, bubbles and all.


I've always wondered how many people witnessed that spectacle. You see, I forgot to mention that we live on the busiest street in our town.


We laugh a lot at our house--always have. Laughter is indeed the best medicine!
-Judy Averitt Hayes...Chicken Soup for the Breast Cancer Survivor's Soul.




Hope this gave you all a great laugh! I know when I read it, I laughed pretty hard! Keep laughing ladies!

Leave a comment and tell me what you think...(click on comments)
Erin

1 comments:

Anonymous,  April 10, 2008 at 9:43 PM  

That is pretty funny, I can just picture you trying to grab the thing all wet, Im sure it was like a wet fish.
Let me share with you one of my more recent moments of embarrassing but funny experiences. I was bald from the chemo and ordered in a longer "Hair you Wear" wig that goes inside hats, I went and picked it up and was so excited about having hair, that I put the thing on with my beanie and headed into the mall to run some errands. I was walking around and feeling very glamourous well as glamourous as you can feel when in chemo, but after many cold weeks of no hair this was wonderful to feel almost normal, even pretty with my long flowing locks of wig hair. I soon notice people seemed to be looking at me, and I thought wow this must be some hair. I even remember the lady that rung me up for some shoes really staring longer than the norm at my hair. Well feeling very happy to have been so envied for my beautiful hair that I had been minus for way too long I practically skipped back to my car. When I was unlocking my car I saw to my horror my reflection in the window of my car...a giant and I mean 4 inch by 4 inch card was hanging next to my ear with big letters printed on it "HAIR YOU WEAR". Ha.
I havent been back to the mall since.
Karie




Books Available

Ginny and I (Erin) have collected a bunch of really great breast cancer related books and would love to share them with anyone interested in reading...Just leave a comment here on the blog and we'll arrange getting you the book!

Here's the list:

Finding the “CAN” in Cancer
By Nancy Emerson, Pam Leight, Susan Boonan and Terri Schinazi

Fighting for our future- How Young Women Find Strength, Hope, and Courage While Taking Control of Breast Cancer-
Forward by Ann Curry of the Today Show
By Beth Murphy

Voices of Breast Cancer- The Haling Companion: Stories for Courage, Comfort & Strength
Edited by the Healing Project

Just a Lump in the Road- Reflections of Young Breast Cancer Survivors
By Debbie Leifert, Gina Castronova, Dr. Tamara Brennan, Jackie Ehrilich, Cindy Goldberg, & Donna Palmisciano

Breast Cancer Survivor Fitness Plan
By Carolyn M. Kaelin, M.D., M.P.H.

Facing the Mirror With Cancer- A Guide to using Make-up to Make a Difference
By Lori Ovitz and Joanne Kabak

Breast Cancer Husband-- How to Help your Wife and (Yourself) Through Diagnosis, Treatment, & Beyond
By Marc Silver

First You Cry- The Classic Inspiring Story of One Woman’s Triumph Over Breast Cancer
By Betty Rollin

The Middle Place- A Memoir of Kelly’s battle with breast cancer
By Kelly Corrigan

Crazy, Sexy, Cancer Tips-
By Kris Carr--Forward by Sheryl Crow

Tools & Tips From the Trenches- Heartfelt Advice for Survivors Families & Friends
By Mary Olsen Kelly

Chicken Soup for the Breast Cancer Survivor’s Soul
By Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, & Mary Olsen Kelly

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP