Utah Breast Cancer Support Group

Non-denominational breast cancer support group in Utah for young women in their 20's, 30's and 40's. Friends by Chance. Sisters by Choice.


Young Survivor Sisters is a free, non-denominational breast cancer support group for women living in Utah who are in their 20's, 30's and 40's. We've been supporting each other like sisters since 2003 and welcome your participation. Together We Survive! To join the conversation, please join our Facebook Page

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Race for the Cure

It was wonderful to see so many of you at the Race for the Cure today! Being that it was my first race ever, I've got to say how impressed I was with the amount of support from locals and even people from out-of-state. They estimated that around 18,000 people showed up today for the race - and I believe them. I have never been surrounded by that many people before today and it's not something that I will soon forget. I teared up a couple of times as I thought of the significance of the race and of my gratitude for all the people there supporting us - the Survivors.

It was fun to see the sayings on the custom made shirts of different teams as they walked by. If you didn't get a chance to see the guys dressed in black shorts and tights - wearing pink underwear over them with words written on their bums - stay tuned. I'll post pictues soon! LOL! The support was overwhelming and I'm so grateful that we were able to be a part of it all.

Most importantly I was grateful to participate in the Survivor March with all of you! I hope you all know how important you are in my life and how important you are to so many others in our group. Your advice and friendship means so much to me and I know that my breast cancer journey would of been completely different without all of you!

Today we were able to pass out some YSS contact cards to other young survivors we passed as we walked. I hope they all take the opportunity to become part of the group. I know their lives will be blessed if they do - just as mine has been.

Thanks for everything Sisters - You are all WONDERFUL!

:) Ginger

1 comments:

Nancy,  May 11, 2009 at 8:09 PM  

Hey Ginger - I was one of the survivors you passed a card to. So glad to have found this group! Looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Nancy




Books Available

Ginny and I (Erin) have collected a bunch of really great breast cancer related books and would love to share them with anyone interested in reading...Just leave a comment here on the blog and we'll arrange getting you the book!

Here's the list:

Finding the “CAN” in Cancer
By Nancy Emerson, Pam Leight, Susan Boonan and Terri Schinazi

Fighting for our future- How Young Women Find Strength, Hope, and Courage While Taking Control of Breast Cancer-
Forward by Ann Curry of the Today Show
By Beth Murphy

Voices of Breast Cancer- The Haling Companion: Stories for Courage, Comfort & Strength
Edited by the Healing Project

Just a Lump in the Road- Reflections of Young Breast Cancer Survivors
By Debbie Leifert, Gina Castronova, Dr. Tamara Brennan, Jackie Ehrilich, Cindy Goldberg, & Donna Palmisciano

Breast Cancer Survivor Fitness Plan
By Carolyn M. Kaelin, M.D., M.P.H.

Facing the Mirror With Cancer- A Guide to using Make-up to Make a Difference
By Lori Ovitz and Joanne Kabak

Breast Cancer Husband-- How to Help your Wife and (Yourself) Through Diagnosis, Treatment, & Beyond
By Marc Silver

First You Cry- The Classic Inspiring Story of One Woman’s Triumph Over Breast Cancer
By Betty Rollin

The Middle Place- A Memoir of Kelly’s battle with breast cancer
By Kelly Corrigan

Crazy, Sexy, Cancer Tips-
By Kris Carr--Forward by Sheryl Crow

Tools & Tips From the Trenches- Heartfelt Advice for Survivors Families & Friends
By Mary Olsen Kelly

Chicken Soup for the Breast Cancer Survivor’s Soul
By Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, & Mary Olsen Kelly

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP